Cold Running

johnbirchjar

Cold Running

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys, Reading in the latest copy of our club mag about Paul Miles's problems with his Classic when riding in traffic with a cold engine?sounds to me like the idle rod needs adjusting. I remember when I first had my Classic,it was an absolute pig to ride when cold,and it was ages before I realised that the factory setting on the idle rod was wrong(couldn't get choke and engine revs,just choke)so after much trial and error adjusting said idle rod, I got it more or less spot on,my firing up procedure is as follows. With trusty old wooden clothes peg to hand,full choke(no throttle)press tit,engine fires,engine revs 1200,keeping revs at 1200 little by little push choke in keeping the engine off the "choke hunting",when the temp guage starts to move off the 50c clip the clothes peg under the choke knob and push the choke down onto the c/peg,the bike is now set to ride, engine revs should now be at 900 with just a whiff of choke for cold running till temp guage is at 90/100 then fully remove the c/peg,push choke fully home,and clip peg onto clutch cable ready for the next cold start. Using this method I have never had a problem cold running in traffic. Hope this helps(sorry if I woffled on a bit)ride safe,J.B.
eyeguy

Re: Cold Running

Post by eyeguy »

Hi Johnseasonal salutations etc smiley I think you're right, it needs a little fiddling with in order to bring it up to snuff. In so many ways it is the best of the rotaries I've yet ridden, but the graunchy clutch and crap gearbox, plus the cold running issues means that it isn't first pick for riding to work. The Suzuki, OTOH, is ridiculously easy to live with, despite all its failings. I'm looking forward to getting the 'Dubyah' back on the road, that promises to be a huge laugh! Very Happy Very Happy CheersA tutto gasPaul