Sand in the frame pleunum

RotaryDane

Sand in the frame pleunum

Post by RotaryDane »

Hi all, Recently I had my IP2's frame powder coated but unfortunately the sandblasting process left a lot of sand inside the frame. Manual cleaning and pressure washing has removed most of it but there is still some particulate left. Any idea as how to get it the last bit out and if it is critical to get it all out?Steffen aka RotaryDane
Richard Negus

Re: Sand in the frame pleunum

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Steffen,You need to wash it all out as it can damage the engine.I first use kerosene to wash out the bulk of it and then a vacuum cleaner with a small spout to take out the remainder. Don't forget to clean the small frame scavenge pipe too.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

It requires great patience but you MUST get it all out, Is it possible to put a tiny camera in there R???
gripper

Post by gripper »

You may consider scalding hot water and washing up liquid and a bottle brush followed by a hose/pressure washer.
Pike

Post by Pike »

Did the same myself - Shot blasting grit got in despite masking it off carefully or so I thought. All the above really: I rinsed it with petrol and a bottle brush several timesThen hot soapy water rinse and a new brush.Then I "pressure washed" it with a hose and finally Hoovered it (once dry) with a 6mm flexible pipe fitted on the end of the Hoover pipe (I used pneumatic pipe)Fortunately I did have access to an endoscope and you could have eaten your dinner off the plenum after that lot. The endoscope did no more than reassure me. It didn't find any pockets of grit