Graham's anti-smoke kit

Ian

Graham's anti-smoke kit

Post by Ian »

Hello chaps.\r\rI have finally given in to SWMBO nagging about my smoky Commander and have bought all the bits to stop this from the very nice man in Hunslet. I have no doubt it will do the job. My query is about fitting it.\r\rMy Commander is running very well and the engine is still in the frame. Given it's health, I don't want to strip it to fix the drain kit, I want to fit it in situ. Graham admits he's not done this himself, always on stripped and 'loose' engines.\r\rThe oil drain is picked up from a blanking plug at the lower edge of the centre plate. The questions:\r\rIs this just thin steel, easily removed by piercing with a sharp object?\rIf it must be drilled, is there a technique to ensure the hole is not damaged and swarf doesn't enter the engine - other than great care?\rIs there a thread inside? (I think yes, but what do I do if not?)\rDoes the drain pipe need to run to one of the inlet manifolds? Can I let it run to a collector bottle or just to the road?\rAny other suggestions or advice?\r\rMany thanks for your guidance,\r\rIan
graham

Re: Graham's anti-smoke kit

Post by graham »

Hi Ian, Is this post really over a year old?Remove M6 bolt in intermediate plate and replace with banjo and union. Connect short pipe to right vacuum takeoff or anywhere in the inlet tractGrahamhttp://www.startright.co.uk/index.php?main_pag ... &chapter=1Image
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hello Graham, and thanks for the reply. Yes, the post really is over a year old! I am still wankelling about smokily.One final question: on my Commander there is no auxilliary vacuum connection on either inlet pipe. Is there any other place I can connect the takeoff to or do I need to fit an IP2 inlet pipe, which has the takeoff points?Thanks Graham.
graham

Post by graham »

Hello Ian, Try the vacuum takeoff point on the engine side of the throttle butterfly.Use the jeft one, the right is used by the petrol tap. If this affects tickover aversely then I have a good stock of IP2 inlet pipes with takeoffs attached.http://www.startright.co.uk/index.php?m ... d=8556Have fun,Graham