oil consumption

johnbirchjar

oil consumption

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi guys, Can anyone tell me what miles per pint/litre of oil our aircooled bikes are supposed to do?rgds,J.B.
gripper

Re: oil consumption

Post by gripper »

Hi John, I reckon on getting 450 miles to a litre. Chris Grimmet was asking the same question prior to the NOC International Rally. He worked out that he was getting 600 miles to the litre when he got back.
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

Have not done enough miles on air cooled rottaters but my commander requires a pint every 250 miles.Know nothing about kilometres and litres as we have not been inflicted with all that euro speak over here.Roger
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

US pint I presume, which makes it 550 miles per litre (I think).
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

Actually R it is not possible to buy US oil by the pint, most have no idea what it is. It all comes in Quarts.However the Silkolene comp 2 is a exception, it is clearly marked US pint I buy it by the case of 8 per case. I have marked the Commander dip stick in pints down from the full mark.R
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

bodgerbloke52 wrote:Actually R it is not possible to buy US oil by the pint, most have no idea what it is.R
So, you're obviously acquainted with the American education system...CW
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Am I correct in thinking that a US gallon is smaller than an Imp one?if so, then logic dictates that a US quart is also smaller than the quart this side of the pond?which then begs the question,how much smaller?(this could run on a bit wink)J.B.
bodgerbloke52

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

JBThe us gallon and quart are 20% smaller in volume than the UK gallon. A bike returning 40mpg US equates to 48mpg UK.There are also differences in US ton and UK. The US ton is 2000 lbs or short ton. The UK long ton is 2240 lbs. The metric ton is 2204 lbs. The US auto industry was dragged screaming and shouting into the rest of the world only recently when they found that their import sub suppliers were all metric and export markets had no "across flats" spanners or wrenches in US speak.Harley, Indian and Victory remain staunchly American with engines capacities in CU inches as their customers say, "we dow wana dam metric on our Emericun sickles". Roger
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi 52, If your rotator do's about 250 miles on a US pint I suspect that this equates to roughly 300 on a IMP pint which is about the same as my Classic and a tad better than Chris Grimmit's machine, but not much in it,is any body else going to part with the relative information? J.B.
Ian

Post by Ian »

My Commander does about 400 miles per litre though I've got it deliberately set up a little rich.Ian.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

My current air-cooled bike, standard oil pump setting, recorded 420 miles per litre over 1400 miles of a Scottish trip last year.Although I ran my Commander much leaner and had an oil recycling system, I wouldn't want to do that with an air-cooled.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks guys,rgds,J.B.
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

Hi John, on my recent trip through France and Spain i filled the tank before i left and also took two one litre containers of Silkolenes finest. At approx 1200 miles i topped up the tank with the second litre, this gives 600 miles per litre but only approximately as i wasn't checking where on the dip stick it started etc. However it looked to be about where i started from. This was my recently rebuilt Classic rep.CheersDave
David Rodgers

Post by David Rodgers »

Hi John, i have just come across my log of distances covered on this trip and i actually covered 1393 miles which makes the oil consumption an even better 700 miles/litre.Dave