Suspect Electronic Ignition

Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Suspect Electronic Ignition

Post by Anthony Duffield »

I am looking for advice regarding my 1990 Commander.When coming to the end of a long run (104 miles) on Sunday and descending a long hill with the bike in top gear it started to back fire, I negotiated the junction at the bottom of the hill and as I pulled away it back fired a few more times and then cut out, as I coasted to a stop thinking about being recovered it picked up and got me home, another 20 miles, without missing beat.I suspect that the electronic ignition become too hot and the timing changed, as it cooled down it sorted itself out.Being new to these bikes I would be very grateful for your advice and recommendations.Many ThanksTony
gripper

Re: Suspect Electronic Ignition

Post by gripper »

It could be numerous things and all are hard to diagnose. You could go through the wiring close to the ign unit and check it for servicability/ condition. Consider moving the ign unit to a cooler location. (you don't say what system is fitted) Finally, I spent an inordinate amount of time getting to the bottom of a faulty trigger unit. These hide behind the gearbox outer cover but you should be able to measure the resistance across it by accessing the connectors. should be about 160 ohms. (i'll check that figure and come back)
gripper

Post by gripper »

Have a look at my thread "loosing the will to live" It's a right ripping read. Good luck.
Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Post by Anthony Duffield »

Many thanks for your help and advice, I do not know what ignition system I have but will after the New Year when I intend sorting all the niggles ready for the spring.To be fair to the previous owner there is not that many things wrong, being used to a "normal" bike ie a 650SS I am beginning to really like the Commander, it's a bit special, nice to ride and well put together.Tony