Water Pump Seal Found Original Size

Anthony Duffield
Site Admin

Water Pump Seal Found Original Size

Post by Anthony Duffield »

I have owned my Commander since September and when changing the coolant found the water pump telltale plugged. I stripped the pump and ordered an overhaul kit, being impatient and someone who sometimes should know better decided not to wait and to obtain the spares locally.I purchased the bearings, circlips and lipseal and went looking for a mechanical seal, not really knowing if my pump casing had already been converted to take the larger diameter seal, took what was left of the old one to a local pump and seal supplier, was supplied with a replacement took everything home, rebuilt the pump and proceeded to cover around 150 miles with no leaks and all seeming to be in order.Not long after, my new overhaul kit arrived and on inspection I found that the new mechanical seal was of a larger diameter than the old one I had removed, so my casing had not been converted to take the new size of seal after all.This means that the old size of mechanical seal is still available.If anyone is interested they should contact:John UreFerrier Pumps (Aberdeen) LtdUnit 5 Portlethen Ind EstAberdeen AB1 4PFTel: 01224 782022Seal type 700, size 0127, material code BVPFFI have no commercial attachment to Ferriers, I told John Ure that I would inform the members of the ROC but only if I thought his seal was OK, so far it seems it is.If you decide to go for a Ferrier Pumps mechanical seal I would suggest you call John first and for good measure send him the old bits of your seal just in case.Tony
Dell Boy

Re: Water Pump Seal Found Original Size

Post by Dell Boy »

Thats great news Tony. I shall be following that up as I have two standard housings & one oversize.Thanks,Derek Fox.
Dell Boy

Re: Water Pump Seal Found Original Size

Post by Dell Boy »

Just bought five off ebay at £9.99 each plus a fiver postage. Should keep me going for about a year!!They were all the vendor had left.Derek Fox.