Help with putting a Norton F1 back on the road please

Tig

Help with putting a Norton F1 back on the road please

Post by Tig »

Morning Norton folkMy Norton F1, registration H433 AUE (purchased from Richard Neaugus back in 2007) had to be sold in 2008 and ended up sitting in a friends dark garage till 2012.I then managed to get it back under my control and for the last six months or so it has sat up at Hesketh Motorcycles in Kingswood Surrey, looking pretty and cosetted in the showroom.Paul Sleeman is kindly offered to assist with getting it back on the road but is having a drama or two with the fuel pump running continuously and the fuel by passing the carbs.Now I am of no use with these things, I know where the front and back wheels are but thats about it.Would someone in the know out there be kind enough to call Paul and offer any advice, his number is 07759 124136.Many thanksTigPs enjoyed reading the article on my old Supreme Commander (G767 SRP) being back on the road and touring around Europe.
steve Dear

Re: Help with putting a Norton F1 back on the road please

Post by steve Dear »

I believe the fuel pump is a Yamaha product so shuld be readily available but by far your best bet is to contact Richard via this forum. My Fuel pump on the Sport still works OK but as been something of a weak link. Rotate Steve
wust588

Post by wust588 »

Tig,As far as I remember with the F1, with the ignition on (without the motor running) and the throttle closed, the fuel pump should run continuously. Fuel can be heard sloshing around the "weir" at the rear of the tank. (One of the reasons for this was to prevent the carbs flooding on the overrun when the throttle is shut when braking etc.)Then with the throttle opened, the pump should stop after a few seconds.If the pump keeps going after the throttle is opened, the carbs are flooding, probably caused by worn float needles.Hope this helps.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Tig,Another possibility to consider is that, having been unused for so long, the diverter valve may not be working..as John's note above, when you open and close the throttle, can you hear a click from a relay on the right side of the frame or feel the valve working?.no click from the relay is either it's not pushed home into its socket or the micro-switch on the carburettors is not working..relay click but no matching click from the valve means the valve is stuck and needs replacing (it is a sealed item and can't be cleaned).solenoid valve click but continuous clicking of the pump is then either flooding carbs or the non-return valve in one of the pipes to the weir tank is stuck open/leaking.This valve is inside the pipe and can be noticed as a slight bulge in the rubber. It stops fuel circulating in the system when the throttle is open and applies full pump pressure to the carbs.Just a thought - did Paul replace the fuel pipes and not notice the valve in one of them?
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Tig

Post by Tig »

Dear AllYour help is very much appreciated, I wil let you know how we get on.RegardsTig
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hi AllEvery year it seams have to clean my non return valve with carb cleaner to stop it weeping.Regards Wayne
Tig

Post by Tig »

She is up and running again... Many thanks to everyone (especially Andy for spending the time with Paul working things through). Mot next week (weather permitting).Thanks again tig
andy588tt

Post by andy588tt »

Hi TigIts a pleasure? All together mate Toys for boys put your leg over and enjoy. I don't claim to know as much Richard or Graham, The end result is its running again I hope Hesketh do the mod with reference to repositioning the battery behind the seat and trying a large Oddyssey gel battery.Ride SafeAndy smiley
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hello Tig, glad you enjoyed reading about your old supreme commander and our trip to Germany. It's a fantastic bike and I love it. All the best, Brian.