Rear Chain life

gripper

Rear Chain life

Post by gripper »

Somebody in a recent post claimed a huge figure for rear chain life on a Commander. Can anybody remember the figure or the details?
Richard Negus

Re: Rear Chain life

Post by Richard Negus »

I would expect at least 100,000, PROVIDING the gaiters are replaced as soon as oil leaks appear.The problem I find with such infrequent wheel adjustments is that the near-side adjuster plug corrodes and seizes in the swing arm. I had one so immovable that I eventually took the only option of replacing the fork.The off-side one gets moved, and possibly re-greased, every time the tyre is changed.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Gripper, I've got 188,00 miles on my commander and still on the original chain. I use copper slip grease on the aluminium wheel adjuster plugs and last time they were checked they were free though It's probably isn't very good for the "O" rings. This week I have to replace the chain gaiters which will now be the second pair I've had to fit since I acquired the bike with 33,000 mile on it in February 1999. If I remember correctly, Renalds Chain suggested 250,000 miles life for a chain as long as its running in a clean environment. Regards, Joe.
wust588

Post by wust588 »

I think I'm right in saying that Tony Page's Interpol at 480,000 + miles is still on the original rear chain.