New rear shocks - any thoughts?

John in Leeds

New rear shocks - any thoughts?

Post by John in Leeds »

As the damping seems to have finally (and suddenly) given up on my Commander's Hagons (11 yrs, 100,000miles approx) I'm wondering if anyone has experience of other suspension units. I know Hagon are reliable & British and lovely people etc., but I've never been that impressed by the performance. It has always felt like they are only just coping with carrying the great lump of fibre glass & panniers with the great lump of me on top (approx 100Kg). Ikons seem the way to go but I'd appreciate any input before spending over £300. I've just spent about an hour trawling through this forum, and am very surprised to see almost no discussion about suspension. Which is very surprising, considering it's possibly the Commander's weakest point.Meanwhile, the front is feeling pretty soggy too. Could be due to 15 to 20 yr old springs?OK, over to you lot...John
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: New rear shocks - any thoughts?

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Hi John,I wonder if Hagons can / will rebuild these shocks for you .... and taken with your concerns and comments, might be able to offer a bespoke pair to suit your particular requirements?DC
John in Leeds

Post by John in Leeds »

Hi DavidI don't think Hagons are re-furbishable. Especially with 100,000 miles of wear. It may certainly be worth asking them though.
graham

Post by graham »

Hello John,Certainly worth contacting Hagon, if I remember rightly, their warranty is for 106000 miles or 11 years whichever comes first :-)Only kidding, we'll probably both be dead before you wear the next set of Hagons out, I think Antony keeps them in stock. If you really need something better you could try: http://ikonsuspension.com/content/the_i ... shtmlThese people bought the rights to make shockers from koni, no idea how good they are, they're made at the other side of the world.Have to say, the Koni shock absorbers were the bees knees! Many years ago, a customer at my counter shouted across, whilst I was speaking to Hagon, his description of how much higher than standard he wanted his spring rate to be; His words will stay with me forever, for, in front of his wife he said:Two fat ba*****s and full camping gear. The wise man at Hagon converted it to a percentage over standard and took it in his stride without a chuckle. So on that basis, because they made me smile, I think you should buy another pair of Hagons Very Happy.