Carb float chamber O rings

johnbirchjar

Carb float chamber O rings

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Guys,Recieved float chamber O rings from A/Norton(part No:55.1495)now the old ones were a real tight fit but the new ones are well loose,do they squash up to a tight fit when tightning the screws?or are they supposed to be a "push fit" from the off, has anybody fitted these?answeres a.s.a.p please,J.B.
Joe

Re: Carb float chamber O rings

Post by Joe »

Hello JB,What are these? I don't reconise the part No. I can't find it in either the Classic, Commander, single rotor idle or twin rotor idle Interpol 2 parts list....... If it's what I think they are I always use gaskets from Burlen, part No. AUE 820 HIF4 gasket pack (burlen.co.uk) as I didn't know ANL supplied them. Anyway, the type I use are a flat profile "O" ring and just lay loose until the four screw are tight. Never had one leak yet. Regards, Joe.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

John, Joe,55-1495 is the square-section ring for the float chamber cover and, in my experience, always needs a little 'stretch' before fitting into the groove in the cap.Doesn't matter whether it comes from AN or direct from Burlen, same thing.55-1496 is the AN number for the small O-ring for the choke mechanism.Neither number appears in the parts catalogues as they were new numbers introduced at Rugeley.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Richard,Joe,Thanks for that info,I shall put the carbs back together feeling much more confidant Very Happy,rgds.J.B.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Thanks for that Richard. I thought it was probably a newly introduced number as I also have 55-1496 in stock and couldn't find them in the parts list either.It's good to see that AN are adding new products to their stock list.Regards, Joe.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Guys,Will the float chambers only fit back the one way?if not, and they are fitted wrong, would this cause the bike to run rich and "hunt" when on a "trailing" throttle('cos that is what my old girl is doing evil)and it only seems to be doing it on one pot exclaim,answeres a.s.a.p. please,'cos I have a track day at Cadwell on Friday Very Happy,rgds,J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

John,Unless you're very cack-handed, they'll only fit one way as the plastic moulding at the bottom end of the jet sits into the triangular recess in the cap.It sounds like there's an air leak where the carb inlet casting sits against the frame; more silicone needed.R.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Thanks for that Richard,I thought they would only fit one way,I'll get busy with the sillicon wink ,rgds,J.B.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Well,after scraping off the old "O" rings,cleaning all the "mating" surfaces with cellulose thiners,fitting new "O" rings,adding lashings of silicon,b***y bike still runs like it's on part choke evil,not as bad as it was,but still not right,will not tick over when hot,(100c and above)and for the first time ever,no response when adjusting the "tick- over" screws exclaim,any sugestions?Bang go's my track day at Cadwell cry.J.B.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

John,As it was alright before you did the carbs (?), I guess you'll have to do them again and check everything..oil in both dash pots?.fitted both piston springs?.choke O-rings in place?.choke cables adjusted correctly? Too much slack is better than not enough..choke cable outers seated in the junction box correctly?R.
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Richard,checked all of your sugestions,all were fine,bike still not working,took it for a spin,(hoping it would cure itself wink)all seemed fine when up in the high 70s,but as soon as I slowed down,one very sick bike evil,and then about a mile from home would only run on one pot,managed to limp home,messed about changing plugs,checking spark ect,still would only run on one pot.I have now given up!!! We are off to the sun for a week Very Happy.I'll play with the bike again when we get back,ride safe,J.B.