Commander centre stand problems

blynch

Commander centre stand problems

Post by blynch »

Can any one throw any light why my centre stand on the Commander has gone from being easy to operate to needing the help of Arnold Schwarzenegger to lift it on.I cannot see anything obviously wrong on the pivot mechanism, all seems in tact and well lubricated.On the day this happened, I had already operated the stand a couple of times without a problem then suddenly the bike seemed to double in weight.I did eventually manage to get in onto the stand with the help of my mate but cannot lever it on my own.Please ....any suggestions appreciated .........Bernard
Dell Boy

Re: Commander centre stand problems

Post by Dell Boy »

blynch wrote:Can any one throw any light why my centre stand on the Commander has gone from being easy to operate to needing the help of Arnold Schwarzenegger to lift it on.I cannot see anything obviously wrong on the pivot mechanism, all seems in tact and well lubricated.On the day this happened, I had already operated the stand a couple of times without a problem then suddenly the bike seemed to double in weight.I did eventually manage to get in onto the stand with the help of my mate but cannot lever it on my own.Please ....any suggestions appreciated .........Bernard
I have found that with high milage the little bit of wear in all the pivot point wearing surfaces add up & make putting on the centre stand very difficult Grey Commander, 30,000 miles, easy.Red Commander 103,000 miles bloody hard especially when doing it on the hydraulic ramp. Also wear in the side stand pivot leaves it leaning over at a crazy angle.Derek.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Derek, My Commander now has 186,000 miles on the clock and goes onto the stand very easily. However, I am now on my third pivot spindle, and when both broke the bike was very difficult to put on the stand. The broken spindle wasn't easily noticed either as both half's were still present and roughly in their correct position. Does your stand return back to it's full rest position easily if you attempt to use it but not actually put the weight of the bike on it? ( Sorry, I've just had a very busy night shift, does this make sense?). If not check the pivot spacers aren't binding inside the nylon bushes. I had a few spindles and spacers made in Stainless and will check my stock over the weekend for you. Regards, Joe.
blynch

Post by blynch »

Thanks for the suggestions, I suppose the spindle could have snapped. I was puzzled why it was working fine and then suddenly impossible to lift. I'll have it checked out and let you know....You are right about the side stand (being a short ar*e) I have been in situations where I cannot get the bike back to vertical. So I am careful now where I park it.The bike has done 69,000 and I have owned it for past 20 years
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Hello Joe,I will check the spindle/pivot out. I suffer from "Ducks Disease" as well (my arse is too close to the ground).I too have to select the terrain to get off using the side stand. Too much lean & I cant get it up! "Ooh er missus!"Derek.
blynch

Post by blynch »

GentsStand problem sorted.... I have just come back from Startright where Graham spotted the problem within 10 mins.The swinging arm had dropped about 3" caused by a recent botched job on welding done to the top nearside shocker mounting point.The guy who did the welding hadn't put all the correct length bolts back in place when re-assembling, causing one over lengthbolt to cut into and wedge itself in the tube of the swinging arm tube frame.Once Graham had patched the hole swinging arm tube frame and re-assembled everything correctly, operating stand is now back to normal.As usual Graham spotted and fixed a few other problems during this session.....the man should be Knighted.Hope I've explained in a way that you can follow.Cheers....Bernard