Commander Fuel Leak

berry_jr

Commander Fuel Leak

Post by berry_jr »

Heading into work the other morning, I noticed the familiar smell of petrol. I took a brief look and had a massive fuel leak from the right of the macine. That eveing I took the side panel off to investigate, needless to say no fuel leak then. However I fitted a new fuel filter a while back. One of the cleanable ones, chrome ends and clear tube with filter inside. I found the tube is plastic, has started to become opaque and had cracked. Also the rubber seals at each end were breaking up. The filter is about a year old. Needless to say that's in the bin now. There are different makes of the same type of filter, but something to watch for.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Re: Commander Fuel Leak

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Hi JohnI am sure this was the subject of some debate a few Epitrochoids ago ....Pleased to read you're sorted now.David
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I had a clear plastic one break up this weekend on a run lucky there was a small autojumble and a replacement sourced there.Funny thing is the petrol had clearly been degrading the filter plastic and it was only about 6 months old, a fuel filter that is not petrol resistant ..brilliant...!!!! evil
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
berry_jr

Post by berry_jr »

I have also had a problem with one of the nylon/ plastic filters. The filter itself had closed up causing fuel starvation. Only been on the bike a couple of months. Ethanol!
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

During an F1 rebuild, I decided it was quicker to have an 'expert' based to the East of Nottingham do a carb overhaul and ultrasonic clean; fitted them yesterday morning.The result? A pair of carbs that flood as soon as they're pressured up (wrong float needles) and float chamber rubber seals that grew by 25% as soon as the cover was taken off (not petrol proof) and won't go back into their grooves. I doubt either were genuine Mikuni parts.Worse still, they're now closed until January 4th!
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!