MY Commander water pump is leaking any suggestionsregards Steve
bodgerbloke52

Re: Commander water pump

Post by bodgerbloke52 »

SteveSounds like it needs a new seal.Roger in the Pacific NW
gasehound

Post by gasehound »

Anyone got a new waterpump seal for a commanderthat they could sell to me or know where to get oneregards Steve.
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

Hi Steve,You might want to budget for a complete overhaul of the pump; water escaping through the seal often gets into the bearings, initiating corrosion, and the pump coupling may be worn also.Either Startright or Andover Norton can supply the parts; AN usually manage to despatch within a day but are more expensive.The original water seal, part number 55-1109, was 28 mm outside diameter and, to the best of my knowledge, is NLA and replaced by 55-1109/30 which is 30 mm outside diameter but otherwise identical. This means that your pump housing will need a simple machining operation to suit, unless of course if has had that done already (as many have).I can provide a step-by-step guide to doing it yourself or, if you have difficulties, I can do the complete overhaul job for you in a couple of days.R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
timharrison

Post by timharrison »

Hi SteveI bought a a water pump kit last week from Startright. As Richard says only the 30mm seal is now available and so the case will need to be machined. Graham has plenty of the seals available. If the seal is leaking then you will probably also find considerable wear in the olham coupling and the bearing will probably need replacing. As the seal cannot be removed for the replacement of other parts without destroying it, you will be better off replacing everything. Unfortunately, in my experience (I have now had to overhaul the pump four times) the pump is the bikes Achilles heal. However you can usually cover long distances with a leaking seal as long as you don't stop, I had a seal go in Portugal and managed to get home.The good news is that the most recent seal, that is until last week, lasted over 10,000 miles and some people do much better than that. There is a step by step guide on the Startright website to assist you to do the job. Careful with the machining though, you probably only have one water pump casing.Tim