Commander wont keep running

BANJOMAN

Commander wont keep running

Post by BANJOMAN »

My commander has been laid up for a couple of years after an engine rebuild. I used it for a year then SORNed it due to young family and use of a combo.Started the bike every two weeks and ran up to running temp. A couple of months ago this stopped. The bike will fire on the starter but wont keep running. Checked the carbs and they are clean. Petrol is runnign through the filter to the carbs and there seems to be plenty of compression. The vac line to the fuel tap is okay and seal is good. Not sure what is wrong here? Any thoughts?
Gerald Pleace

Re: Commander wont keep running

Post by Gerald Pleace »

Banjoman,Sounds like the ballast resistor has gone open circuit.Try digging it out from the electrical bits on the offside and connecting the two wires attached together. It should then start and run albeit with 12v going through th coils instead of 6.Then when you replace the resistor make sure to put it where it is easier to access next time. Mine is mounted just under the fuses.Best of luckGerald
biker bob

Post by biker bob »

hi had the same problem and found a wire in the block connector at the back of the head light had rotted. copper wire was black. the block connector comes from the start button side. smiley pull at the wires one at a time to see if you have a brake in a wire. hope this helps you.
BANJOMAN

Post by BANJOMAN »

Thanks to gerald and Bob for the suggestions. I will look at both but I don't think it is the wiring as I got a brand new harness.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi, had the same problem, (see previous post) only ran with starter button pressed, and was the ballast resister gone, as mentioned can be proved by directly connecting wires together, mine now housed behind screen in fairing, dave
BANJOMAN

Post by BANJOMAN »

Thanks all. It was the ballast resistor.
FrankW

Post by FrankW »

Yes indeed. When mine failed last time, my local garage supplied a couple of the same part number specced for an old Ford Transit. Remarkably cheap.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Banjoman, I've been using my Commander for years without a ballast resistor and both cables connected together. I'm still using the original 6v coils and I use my bike almost daily covering around 500 miles every week without any problems. I even fitted 12 volt coils at one time but one burnt out so I stuck with the originals. I'm so confident that I'm going to be OK I don't even bother to carry any spare coils. If one does pack up I'll just limp home. PVL 12 volt coils are available from Vehicle Wiring Products for £17.00 each and also probably from ANL, might be worth changing to these and doing away with your ballast resistor or on the other hand a Lucas ballast resistor is only £9.00 on ebay and you can keep the bike stock. Regards, Joe.
kjell

Post by kjell »

Hi Does anyone know how many ohm´s the ballast resistor has ? Thanks, Kjell