What oil for Ro80

Mitcher9

What oil for Ro80

Post by Mitcher9 »

Hi, I have owned my Ro80 since 1999 and always used Shell Rotella 40w. My stock is running low and from what I can see Shell no longer make this type of oil. I notice from technical info that Rotella was recommended for the Norton rotaries and was wondering if any forum members could recommend an alternative to Rotella?Look forward to hearing from you.All the best, Robert.
andy588tt

Re: What oil for Ro80

Post by andy588tt »

Hi RobertI use Texaco eusatex low ash I have worked on many RO80Ride SafeAndy
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Are we talking about Rotella DD+40?Are you sure this is no longer available?If so, this is news to me ...David
Mitcher9

Post by Mitcher9 »

I have done some research and it would appear that Shell Rotella has been replaced with Shell Rimula and the oil for the Ro80 would be Rimula R3 +40. The Rimula product is a low ash oil and available in multigrade and single grade options. It is primarily designed for heavy duty turbo diesel applications. I have found the product available in the UK in 20l pails from Smith & Allan. Hope this info those folks looking for a Rotella replacment for their rotary.Cheersrobert
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Just a little discussion point-In the SAE paper for the RE-5 Suzuki, the recommendation was a basic, low ash SAE 10w-40, available at any auto shop or Stop-'n'-Rob for a few coins.By the time the thing got into production, the requirements got wound up real tight: Special RE-5 oil from Suzuki or - if you absolutely had to use something in an emergency - Shell 5-20-50 or some such nonsense. Bottom Line: Lotsa'denarii.I ran the piss out of RE-5 and used the cheapest 10w-40 I could find. The worst thing I ever had to face was fashioning a flat piece of plywood to use as a seat when the seat pan finally rusted out after leaving the bike outside in the summer showers. So, the question I ask to all of the Ro-80 owner out there: Are you sure that you have to buy that 50 gallon drum of RoZotica oil to keep the greatest engine ever conceived in the Mind of Man going? Really?Thanx,Charlie
Mitcher9

Post by Mitcher9 »

CharlieUnderstand where you are coming from and interesting to hear about your experience with the RE5. I looked at the price of the Rimula oil and it is UK£75 inc tax and delivery for 20l. That works out £3.75 per litre. The cheapest mineral 10W40 in stores is around £12 for 4l. Appreciate the initial outlay is much higher but the cost per oil change cost is not that much higher.Anyone else got any thoughts?CheersRobert