F1 Radiator fan stops!!

andy588tt

F1 Radiator fan stops!!

Post by andy588tt »

Hi to you all On my Norton F1 one of the radiator fans stopped working I only noticed because it was quieter on on side? when returning from a short run out I checked the block connections and all was clean and as should be I moved the fan blade and it worked! but very slowly and but it had some resistance. Removing the fan was simple with a sharp stanley knife cutting through the mastic from the radiator. Stripped the motor and found the magnets had departed from the body casing and had stuck to the motor core. The rust was very bad and crud was everywhere. The brushers were worn see pictures below. I cleaned the armature rust and crud lumps inside the motor body. The commutator was cleaned and polished. The fan motor body and top was cleaned and resprayed, the magnets were superglued to the inner body because I had left the original magnet locating sticky pads, The old brushers measured 4.2 x 4.5 x 10mm I found these on flea bay four new brushers for £3.17 inc delivery from Hong kong great so Ive got another pair for the other side if it goes!! in my life time? cool . All soldered together bolted up and fitted went for a run and another running repair done from an ageing 1990 Norton F1. Lilly is on the road again Very Happy Ride SafeAndy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.