Commander Leaking Petrol Tap?

alanwxr

Commander Leaking Petrol Tap?

Post by alanwxr »

Hello\rFirst post on here. Prompted by the e-mails :-)\r\rI have a 1991 Commander and not used it for a few months because of an operation. Want to get it ready for the Spring, but there seems to be a petrol leak.\r\rWhen the bike is left standing for a while the tank seems to slowly empty, with no signs of leaks. Think it must be via the tap. Anyone any thoughts?\r\rAlan
ziggystardust

Post by ziggystardust »

Not filling up the sump is it?\r\rZ
Joe

Post by Joe »

Hello Alan,\rBoth of my 1989 Commanders at some time have had this problem. One turned out to be the original fuel pipe which had hardened with age and no-longer griped the tap correctly, so was replaced. The other bike had an old fuel filter which had reduced in size both internally and externally where the pipe connected to it probably from excess clamp pressure and chemical attack from modern fuels. New filter and hoses were fitted which cured the problem.\rCheers, Joe.
alanwxr

Post by alanwxr »

Thanks for the replies. Not a clue where it's going 'ziggystardust'.\r\rI presume then 'joe' that the leaks were just slow ones and the petrol evaporated, I've wondered if that's what this is doing.\r\rNot ridden it this year as I have had a big op.