RO-80 carburetors...

Charles Wilson

RO-80 carburetors...

Post by Charles Wilson »

http://ateupwithmotor.com/luxury-and-pe ... =3"Despite the rotary's apparent simplicity, long-term testers soon complained that the KKM 612 could be frustratingly difficult to keep in proper tune. If the twin Solex carburetors were even slightly out of adjustment, the result would be hesitation and flat spots, which took a fine touch to correct. The spark plugs were another headache; the rotary had a unique flair for fouling its plugs in slow driving. The plugs' position in the combustion chamber made it impossible to clear them with a burst of speed, as one could with a piston engine, so the only recourse was to remove the plugs and clean or replace them.""...and the carburetor, young Skywalker...?":http://www.motorsportsalmanac.com/mastu ... .pdf"Solex 18/32 HHD Horizontal Draft"So RE-5 motorcyclists, we see once again that there is much more beneath the surface here. The stories that came out of the RE-5 history told of heroic tales of forge and hammer, conquering recalcitrant aluminum and steel. Maybe so, but there were evidently a lot of off the shelf solutions used as well.SO: How's the RE-5 running these days, eyeguy?CW
johnbirchjar

Re: RO-80 carburetors...

Post by johnbirchjar »

I briefly owned a K70 in the mid-1970s,right heap of junk exclaim, put me off VW's for years exclaim The article about the Ro8o was most enlightning though,I never realised that they were in production for that amount of time.J.B.
gripper

Post by gripper »

I thumbed a lift in a Ro80 whilst I was in training at RAF St Athan. It seemed pretty smooth and quick but I recall that for a "modern" car it did not have self cancelling indicators. I believe the popular mod was to bin the wankel motor and fit a V6 Ford.
andy588tt

Post by andy588tt »

gripper wrote:I thumbed a lift in a Ro80 whilst I was in training at RAF St Athan. It seemed pretty smooth and quick but I recall that for a "modern" car it did not have self cancelling indicators. I believe the popular mod was to bin the wankel motor and fit a V6 Ford.
Hi We used to fit the Transit V4 engine it was cheap and reliable.Ride safeAndy cool
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!