Plug gaps!

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
nicktheflick

Plug gaps!

Post by nicktheflick »

I had the distinct pleasure of purchasing a couple of new spark plugs from the man himself, thank you Kanonkop – you even get a free cup of tea. The technical bit I forgot to ask was to what should I gap these? It's for a Commander, the existing plugs (C7E) were failing a bit as the electrode seems to have disappeared - DOH!
graham

ngk plug gap

Post by graham »

Hello and welcome to the forumThe cardboard tube shield in the box the plug comes in is to protect the electrode from taking a knock - because they come preset to 0.6mm. Which is fine for the rotary.
dave perry

Post by dave perry »

My Commander eats C7s, so I'm now on Iridium C8s from the same source. I have checked them once in the 2000 miles since fitted, and they seem fine. I do spend most of my time on motorways a decent speeds, so they nice and 'ot. I have put a set of C9 iridiums in my IP11, but have yet to get some miles on the clock. I will keep you posted cheers dp
nicktheflick

Magic - ta

Post by nicktheflick »

I'll chuck them in and give it a wind up! I will however check the fuel filter just to make sure the fading is not down to fuel starvation. Any where else I should look / poke?On another theme, I had a drive of the new (ish) Mazda RX8 earlier, what an awesome machine, 228 PS from a 1.3 (I believe) on naturally aspirated induction. Loads of torque and rev's just like the Commander but unlike the bike it has too many wheels. Anyone thought of or is brave enough to put a Mazda rotary engine into a bike frame?! I'll watch if that's OK.
dave perry

Post by dave perry »

do check the vacuum pipe from the tapping point to the fuel tap, and the rest of the wee small plugs on the fuel feed pipes to the engine. And of course the old chestnut of a blocked breather on the fuel cap. When are you fading, coming down from a decent throttle opening ? Also please take a look at Graham's advice re checking engine runninmg, on my posting of <IP 11 that won't idle> Good Luck dp
nicktheflick

engine fade

Post by nicktheflick »

I believe I found the problem though have yet to test out to see if running is back to form. On checking the in-line fuel filter (RHS from fuel tap to RH carb) I looked at it, no build up of crud though on taking it off noticed the inlet pipe (plastic) had been squashed down (I guess) under the compression of the worm drive clip holding it on. This must happen over time and general build up of heat under the fairing and the low melt point of the filter housing the orifice getting smaller and smaller. Maybe that’s why my mileage figures have been improving! It's a new one on me.