Hi everyone - ideas needed

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
Dopey

Hi everyone - ideas needed

Post by Dopey »

Hi there - finally got round to registering as a result of looking for help/advice with IP2. Can anyone offer any help with these please ?a) brake discs - mine has the type where the (cast iron?) rotor is held to an ally mounting plate with 9 cap head screws - the mounting plates being bolted to the wheel. The discs are starting to look a bit thin and prompted comment at the last MOT. I'd like to replace these with something that doesn't create as much rust and is drilled or slotted for better wet performance. I'm OK with measuring these up but would be interested if anyone can recommend anywhere who will turn up a replacement pair.b) air box - I'd like to make up a metal replacement to accept an off the shelf filter for better filtration and improved intake position. I'd like to do this without taking my machine off the road to size up the existing box. Does anyone have a knackered/melted/otherwise distressed box they would be either willing to sell or lend so I can take some measurements please ?c) running problems - bike has recently developed reluctance to rev over 5000 - 6000rpm in top. No popping or banging just appears to run out of go as if there's a very soft rev limiter. Starting and low speed running is brilliant. Poor high speed running followed severe bouncing up and down on suspension to align forks/yolks. Suspected had disturbed rubbish in the tank so drained and flushed this out (there was quite a bit !). Inline filter between the tank and the carbs was clean, Fuel flows freely from tap but running problem persists. Checked compression - both chambers ~90psig. Cleaned out carb vacuum chambers and pistons in case pistons were sticking. Had also recently replaced the HT leads with copper core and suspected these might be breaking down. Hence replaced (again) with new silicone leads. Haven't yet had chance to try out but pessimistic about cure. Any suggestions as to what would be the next thing to check please?Any thoughts much appreciated
gripper

Re: Hi everyone - ideas needed

Post by gripper »

Have you checked the vent in the top of the fuel tank is clear allowing air to replace the fuel as it's used.I have a warped air box that I was going to do something similar with, but I won't get round to it in the near future. you're welcome to borrow it. where are you?
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

Hi thanks very much for the reply. I chickened out of dismatling the cap as the fuel seems to flow freely enough when you suck on the vacuum connection and there's no hissing etc when you open the cap after a run. Perhaps I'd better have a look....what put me off slightly was dismantling the cap from a Tiger 900 a few months ago - never seen so many small springs and ball bearings. I'm assuming that there's no fault in the vacuum tap (or vacuum pipe) since the tap appears to work OK and I might expect the ehole system to give problems at idle when the vacuum's lower ? thanks also for the offer of the airbox loan - that would be very helpful. I live in Derby - I guess you're probably in Inverness or Redruth ??!! I sketched something out some time ago based on using a standard 'sandwich box' ? style K&N filter size to give the same filter area. I planned to make the housing out of aluminium. If you're amenable (and not too far away!), perhaps I can get in touch when I get back from holiday in a weeks time. all the best
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

Hi gripperPlease shelf the airbox idea for the moment until I can get the running sorted out....grrrrTest ran this evening after new HT leads, cleaned out carb piston chambers etc etc but with no real change. Still starts immediately and idles fine. Revs out OK when engine under no load or in lower gears but hits slightly variable rev limit in top couple of gears. No pops or bangs but feels like either fuel starvation or the spark is not up to the job at high speed./load. Afterwards removed the plugs but no obvious difference between the 2 chambers.Tried stopping and removing filler cap, refitting and then straight back off and up through the gears but problem still there so don't think it's tank vent problem. However did have a look for vent when I got back but can't see a) where for sure the vent hole goes to and exits and b) how to dismantle cap to clean out (just in case). Where should I be looking ? Do you simply drift out the pin (preloading the spring etc) to dismantle ?Starting at the cheaper (!!?) end, am thinking about trying replacement coils as I'm still running the originals and wonder if they're starting to give up the ghost under load - does anyone have any similar experience ? Are the coils really well past their sell by date ? I may try at least checking the LT signal into both coils (oscilloscope) looks good before spending any dosh but am not confident that I'll see any problem if it only occurs under load and I can only really test at idle. Any suggestions ? I don't want to contemplate the options of duff ignition box yet....I still have the slow running box connected - what symptoms are caused when this starts going west?Any help much appreciated
andygbsmith

Post by andygbsmith »

Have you checked the carbs? I had the same trouble and it turned out to be the hieght of the main jet.I cleaned and adjusted the carbs problem gone.Andy
commando-rotary

Post by commando-rotary »

Hi Dopey, there is a company you will find on www.stealthproducts.co.uk, tel 01142 570111 they will make discs to your requirements and they seem reasonable on price, hope this is of some help D. G.
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

Thanks for the ideas chaps. Other things have got in the way for the last few weeks - work, DIY and blowing fuses on other bikes - so haven't had chance to do any more investigations. However, I have a carb overhaul kit sat on the shelf since last year - perhaps this is the incentive to get on and use it !! Hopefully I'll post up what the solution was in the next couple of weeks just in case it helps anyone else.thanks also for the suggestion regarding Stealth for disc. I guess I was hoping that perhaps someone had already been down this path and one of the aftermarket lot already had the design details on the shelf to save me measuring them up. However, as soon as I've got the running back to normal I'll sort out some discs - I hope with some drilled/slotted design I'll finally get rid of buttock clenching 2sec wet weather delay ! That will only leave the front suspension to sort out.....best regards