New Norton Interpol owner seeks tips

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
Blair-re5

New Norton Interpol owner seeks tips

Post by Blair-re5 »

Hi I am in New Zealand and have just bought a Norton Interpol in Ireland I am eagerly awaiting its arrival and would like any advice for maintaining this bike. I would like to find out any tricks for starting....how long it needs to warm up before moving and any other tips for owning/riding a Norton Interpol. I have heard it is good to use Shell Rotalla Oil but I am not sure which particular variety. I appreciate any feed back and look forward to reading the responses.Cheers.
andy588tt

Re: New Norton Interpol owner seeks tips

Post by andy588tt »

Hi Blair-re5Congratulations on your new purchase from Ireland, You have found a great site for answering questions, Its great to share our views. Your question on what oil to use.? In the UK we cannot get Shell Rotalla Oil but when I could I used Rotalla RX 40. I had four Rotary bikes used for Courier deliveries and this oil worked fine being a low ash. I worked these bikes between late 80s till 1995 and covered a lot of miles! Shell Rotalla was easy to get then these bikes have now gone. I ride a f1 for pleasure these days and when I could not get Rotalla any more I changed to TEXACO URSATEX SEA 40 HD MOTOR OIL its still low ash, Norton Motors Ltd suggested to me.Modern oils are far better Im sure but its down to choice Im sure other people on this forum can inform you what they use but I use this old fashion oil it works and its cheap.Dont put 2 stroke oil in your bike?.Ride safeAndy cool
Ha ha eat my oily clag !!!!!!
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

andy588tt wrote:Dont put 2 stroke oil in your bike?.
MMMM not sure about that statement most people now are using Silkolene Comp 2 Pre mix and Richard Negus recommends that too. A modern synthetic 2 stroke oil is much better as it is literally 0 ash sticks like the preverbial to a blanket inside the engine and lubricates better than the old oils used, same oil weight too as Rotella 40. I have an IP2 and only use Silkolene and can only say it runs better now than ever before with less smoke.Only other advice squirt some oil in the plug holes and turn over the engine using the back wheel when storing to stop rust on cast rotor / sticking seals in the engine.Also when warming the engine up most say it's best to get on the move straight away and not let idle for long periods as the oil pump does not deliver oil below 1800rpm ish. That's a good tip when riding too dont use too low revs in too high a gear due to oil delivery characteristics. I am sure Malc or Richard will be along soon to add their piece they know all Very Happy
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
Dell Boy

Post by Dell Boy »

Take the plugs out & put oil in the chambers before attempting to start it when it arrives. It is more than likely the combustion chambers will be a bit dry. When it starts you will have more smoke than a destroyer laying down a smokescreen. This is not a problem except to your neighbours. Derek.
Malc

Post by Malc »

Hello Blair-re5.Probably worth remembering that the oil pump is not being driven when the clutch is pulled in so best to select neutral if stationary in traffic.Not convinced about the benefits of Comp2 synthetic 2 stroke oil over low ash mineral diesel oil if covering high mileages as although the engines may run a bit cleaner on the synthetic 2 stroke, it is more expensive and I have seen no evidence that there is any difference on engine wear having worked on a very high mileage engine that was run on Rotella.If putting oil down the plug holes, I would recommend also squirting WD40 spray or similar or using Red-X as this is lighter and likely to give better spread inside the engine. I prefer to remove the alternator cover and carefully turn the engine backwards by hand on the flywheel to avoid all the oil going out the exhaust port. When doing this, any higher resistance when turning the engine slowly backwards compared to turning forwards may indicate a seal or smearing problem. Even so the engine will carry on running mostly with little effect for everyday use.Does the bike you have bought still have the fairing on it? and do you have any history to it? If you give Richard the frame/eng numbers he may be able to supply some info on the bike.RegardsMalc
Blair-re5

Post by Blair-re5 »

Hi everyone,Thank you so much for all the advice and support. The engine number is 00003205 the vehicle ID is 00003117 the farings have unfortunately has been removed. Also wondering if any one has used moray's upper cylinder lubricant I used it years ago while racing gokarts it left more of an oily residue than hard carbon but that was years ago. Any thoughts?Again I really do appreciate the help.Now that I have sold my re5 to get the interpol i might have to change my login name.Cheers Blair NZ smiley
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

I use Activ8 which has good write ups but who knows what its real benefits are I may just be increasing oil costs again red face Mind you my idle speed went up after using it for a short time so I guess internal friction was reduced.Good luck with getting her on the road.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
johnbirchjar

Post by johnbirchjar »

Hi Blair re5,(pitty about your surname,it i'snt held in very high esteem here in the U.K.)anyway,adding me "six pennyworth"I've run my Classic on Rotella 40 since new(40,000miles and counting)and when I fire the old girl up from cold I allways hold the rev's at just over 2000 until the temp gauge reads I/2 way between 0 and 100 before riding off.I hope you enjoy riding your rotary as much as the rest of us"rotarians"seem to,ride safely,J.B.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Are you anywhere near Tauranga? There's a ROC member with an IP2 (and a W2000) living out there who might be of some help ...David