Hello!

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
MrB

Hello!

Post by MrB »

Hi,I'd like to say hello to everyone having recently joined the ROC forum after a slight seven year delay from when I first acquired my Norton. I ride a water cooled Interpol 2, probably best described as a twin of Graham's Interpol as he put mine together some years ago. I'm based in North Hertfordshire and would welcome getting in touch with others in the locality. I'd be pleased to know of any off-shoots of the roatary clubs that meet in the Herts/Beds area.I've already had a look through the technical posts and have learned a few tips. I noted a recent discussion on oils; having used all my Rotella X40 I'm now considering a change to Silkolene as recommended by Richard. So, here goes with the first question - as it is a synthetic oil, does the oil system have to be flushed or is silkolene fully miscible with Rotella?Regards to all,Johnny
Pike

Re: Hello!

Post by Pike »

...And is it a blue w/c IP2 like the one I photographed outside Del Basso Motorcycles in Hitchin last month? Mine is the black IP2 which was.....outside Del Basso Motorcycles in Hitchin the week before. Clearly IP2s are as common as muck. Chris
MrB

Post by MrB »

Yup that's the one, and now with a whole new front tyre! Someone did mention something about Norton Rotaries being like buses.
kanonkopdrinker
Site Admin

Post by kanonkopdrinker »

Are you a member of the ROC? If so, I can send you a membership list ... so you can find out who your neighbours are. David
jpsrob

Post by jpsrob »

Hello Mr B I live in the Luton Area, JPS F1 Sport is my preference. Always welcome here open door policy
Richard Negus

Post by Richard Negus »

MrB wrote:as it is a synthetic oil, does the oil system have to be flushed or is silkolene fully miscible with Rotella?
Hi Johnny,Welcome to the forum and to your brother rotaristas (are there any rotaristettes ??).Synthetic and mineral oils shouldn't be mixed so the usual thing is to empty the tank as much as possible, suck out the dregs in the bottom, and refill with Comp 2. Flushing is not necessary. The oil outlet is above the bottom of the tank so you may find water and gunge that has collected there over the last 20 years.With the engine running, the new oil will pass down the oil feed pipe without mixing with the old, and you'll end up smelling much nicer and probably lasting longer (but a little poorer).R.
Just a bike-less old fogey now. Boo-hoo!
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

Hi and welcome. I agree with Richard as I have recently changed to Silkolene, all I did was use a normal oil drain pump and suck the majority of the oil out and then just added the Comp 2. After a short while you could see the change in oil colour in the clear feed pipes and job done. Smells much nicer and definately runs a lot cleaner apart from the big puff of smoke at start up due to the oil staying in the rotor housings for longer due to its sticky technology Very Happy Make sure you use pre mix Comp 2 not injector though.
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
MrB

Post by MrB »

Thanks for the oil advice chaps, I'll be on to that soon.David: joining the ROC is on the list for this week, it's about time I did! (these things can't be rushed but I guess 7 years without doing so is pushing it by anyones standards!)Rob / Chris: Do you chaps attend any regular meetings locally? I've noticed an F1 Sport flying around this neck of the woods occassionally, not seen your IP though Chris.By the way, I have some service tools for servicing the primary drive and clutch hub if anyone wants to borrow them. Is there a place within the forum to advertise items like that?Johnny
jpsrob

Post by jpsrob »

Hi Johnny If you wnat to meet fellow bikers High Beach (Epping) on Sundays, what you cant find there out isnt worth knowing. I am often there on the Hesketh or Silk Or Triumph and sometimes on the NortonBike show at Takely in Essex on Sunday
Pike

Post by Pike »

"Rob / Chris: Do you chaps attend any regular meetings locally? I've noticed an F1 Sport flying around this neck of the woods occassionally, not seen your IP though Chris."I regularly attend local AA meetings. smiley I've barely been out on my IP because its only just back from Grahams and is still being run-in, which is frustrating. On the odd day that we have good weather, I have to fight the temptation to go out on one of my other toys.
MrB

Post by MrB »

Thanks Rob. F1 and a Silk? And a Hesketh??? Wow! Some of my dream bikes. You'll be telling me you have a Brough and an Enfield Interceptor Mk2 next! (Enfield Mk2 you think? But what a beautifully impressive looking machine). I may well get to the Takeley show, I'll drop you line with my number in case you go too.Johnny.
Interpol2471

Post by Interpol2471 »

MrB wrote:Enfield Mk2 you think? But what a beautifully impressive looking machine.
I had a Contraceptor years ago which was an Interceptor with a Constalation engine fitted and that was really nice and I always wanted the big boy engine cool
Various rubbish in various states of decay.....
jpsrob

Post by jpsrob »

Glad to see you made it to Takely. We were there on the Hesketh.Perhaps we'll meet one day.
MrB

Post by MrB »

Hi Rob, Yes I saw the Hesketh and very good it looked too! I'll need to make a few trips to the meetings you attend so I can get to say hello. All in all that was a good show considering the size of the venue, the organisers did a fine job. I'd recommend it to anyone else reading this for next time round.I took the bike (the real MrB) through the middle of London yesterday. Negotiating the traffic meant using muscles I haven't employed for some years - ouch! Thinking about it, not being that familiar with forums I clearly made a mistake when registering for this one in adopting the username MrB - that's actually the nickname for the Norton (being taken from the reg plate). Hmm, a fine example of not thinking ahead. I wonder how I go about changing it over to Johnnyh? Time to contact an administrator.Johnny
jpsrob

Post by jpsrob »

Was that you speeding along the A505 into Luton tonight at 7.15 .
MrB

Post by MrB »

Speeding? Me?? I couldn't possibly comment m'lud! I was out for a quick whiz trying some different oils in the chaincase and gearbox. Where you going the other way? I was busy concentrating on the feel of a few high speed gear changes so I'm afraid I didn't see you. I'd be happy to call by tomorrow to say hello if it's convenient.
jpsrob

Post by jpsrob »

You overtook us at a rapid rate, we were in our car Ford Ka approaching the roundabout at the new hotel,we dont live far from there, shall be in around 5.00pm 01582 484606 for directions.
MrB

Post by MrB »

Cool, I'll call about 6 ish tonight.