New RE5M member

Test your forum skills before launching into in-depth discussions!
GrosOurs

New RE5M member

Post by GrosOurs »

Hi,I just bought a Suzuki RE5M (frame number 11453), coming probably from Miami. It is in very good condition (with only 763 miles...). Unfortunately I cannot ride it right now because it leaks fuel, and even oil much more than my 1965 Royal Enfield Bullet.Kind regards
Charles Wilson

Re: New RE5M member

Post by Charles Wilson »

Congratulations on your find!1. Where is the fuel leak? The tank or other fittings?2. The original "M" model had an automatic chain lube device that brought nothing but misery to the M owners (I always dealt with the "A" model). Also, check the shifter shaft that sticks out on the left, as well as the gear indicator control device next to it. The shaft and gear indicator are both below the oil level of the transmission (I know, I know...). The shaft threads through a hole and has some free movement as the shaft merely "rests" on the bottom of the hole (I know, I know...). NO DOUBT the seal will have to be replaced. Buy some extras for parties and future use...The gear indicator block is hard plastic/bakelite type of material and may crack. Now, you may think that you could simply pop off the indicator block and fashion a plate that you could screw onto the side housing but the metal gear indicator stub sticks its ugly head out a little farther than the side so you may have some Construction Fun ahead of you if the gear indicator is cracked.3. None. The. Less: Check some earlier Posts on the carburetor diaphragms. When you get the rubber replaced and get the oil leaks minimized, you will have a very fine motorcycle. Replace the wheelbarrow handlebars with a 1" riser and it will FEEL like a fine motorcycle.Congratulations. You did a Good thing by saving this bike.CW
GrosOurs

Post by GrosOurs »

Hi,thank you for help. It gives me confidence for the rehabilitation of the bike.I do not know yet where the fuel leak is. I will check every point that you told me. This will take me some time as I will not be home for 15 days.I am confident that with some work (and some parts from Rotary Recycle ?) I will have a very fine bike !Best regardsPhilippe Kauffmann
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

Minor Unfinished History-1. The RE-5 used the basic KKM-502 geometry that was used in NSU's products and was presented to many companies as a possible power-plant for many applications.Somewhere, in the archives or maybe in some landfill by now, are the records of what was provided to Suzuki in preparation for the production of the RE-5. There are rumors that there was a prototype motorcycle built somewhere (England?) that had a right side shift mechanism. *Warning!*: ONLY RUMOR. Not verified and my nurses tell me that I still remember things mostly - every coupla' days.2. One thing I do know is that the transmission shifter shaft exited on the right side. We also know that some "European Engineering Things" carried over to the production machine. The gear that drove the Primary Chain attached to the Eccentric was held by a Woodruff Key, as I once discovered to my regret. Still might've been a Japanese solution, who knows.3. For the production of the RE-5, the shifter had to be on the left side. This necessitated a connecting shaft that would run from the right side to the left. The only way that would work is that the shaft would run across the transmission UNDER the level of the transmission oil. (If there was indeed a right shift prototype, it would also have required a new right side casing for production.)4. The left end of the shifter shaft is splined to take the shift lever that connects to your boot. The spline circumference is greater than the shaft itself so that necessitates that the hole in the left housing is larger than necessary. In the assembly of the engine, it would be easier to design a larger hole in the left side to thread (...to slam...) the shaft from right to left through than it would to put the shaft in from left to right and then assemble the shifter pawl with springs in order to finish the engine assembly.Bad news. You push the shifter to downshift, you lift the shifter to upshift and the motion moves this cross-shaft up and down and round about. "But we got this rubber seal here, see?"Great. Wonderful. Eventually, oil leaks everywhere.5. I always thought of this as a feature, not a bug. I always had a protective layer of grease on every under surface of my motorcycle to ward off any water getting into MY engine. I came close to getting a split ring insert machined but I was hit with Grinding Poverty and never recovered.The "M" owners really suffered. All of this as well as an "Automatic Chain Lube" device.Hey! The bike got manufactured. "I woulda' dun it diffurnt." Yeah, OK, Charlie.Some of the happiest years of my life were spent runnin' that thing into the dirt.What an engine.CW
GrosOurs

Post by GrosOurs »

Hi,all your explanations are very interesting.When analyzing the design of the RE5 engine one can feel the sweat of the engineers to find acceptable solutions to the various encountered problems. Your explanations show very well the engineers reasoning twist and turn. Eventually they built an extraordinary complex and heavy bike from an extraordinary simple and light concept .This oddness is what attracted me at first. But I must admit that I am also fascinated by Felix Wankel, not only for his engineering skills, but for one reason that will seem very odd to many: because he gave most of his assets (about one hundred million dollar I think) for improving the living conditions of the farm animals.But for now I have to fight with all the leaks of my bike. So I will order this week many seals and small parts at Rotary Recycle. I discovered that even the bleed screw on the fuel cock was leaking, and that once removed it lets flow mainly rust... I'll think that I will have to wait some time before starting up the engine again!Best regardsGrosOurs
Charles Wilson

Post by Charles Wilson »

GrosOurs-I may start a new thread for a continuation of "Engineering-as-she-are-dun" but I wanted to let you know:You mention that your RE-5 may have had a Miami connection.If this means that you are in Florida (esp. anywhere west of Mouse-World in mid-FL) and you discover that, say, your tank is rusted through, lemme know.It doesn't appear that I'll ever get to build my direct injected, variable overlap, air-kooled hot rotor RE-5.I may be able to help you in some areas.CW
GrosOurs

Post by GrosOurs »

Hi,In fact I am in France. This bike was bought three years ago in Miami by a professional French importer who sold it to an individual at whom I bought it. By looking closely it appears that it has much more miles than the odometer shows (it has probably been replaced).The tank seems almost not rusty in its visible area. But the rust comes out anyway! Fortunately I have here what's needed for "moderately rusty" tanks.The "Engineering-as-she-are-dun" thread would be highly appreciated, at least by me! I think I am only beginning to make discoveries on my "nearly new" RE5...Best regardsGrosOurs